Strasbourg cathedral can be seen from far away and recognized thanks to the only tower of the building. From 1647 to 1874 it was the tallest building in the world.
A guide has explained to us that, if you imagine Strasbourg cathedral without this high tower and the part above the rose window, it is very similar to Notre-Dame de Paris. The front is decorated with thousands of figures, among them you can see kings (Clovis, Dagobert, Rodolphe, Louis XIV).
As this part of Strasbourg is a pedestrian precinct, it is easy to walk around the cathedral. And then you can enjoy the small streets around without the noise of cars, only with the voices of tourists coming from the whole world.
A visit in June is different from one in December with thousands of people visiting the local Christmas Market.
In the cathedral, the organ is impressing, the rose window beautiful, but most people come to see the astronomical clock and its automata. Every quarter of an hour, there is a small movement on the clock and at half past midday the 12 apostles move when the cock crows three times.
The clock also shows the real position of the Sun and the Moon.
Just near it, the Pillar of Angels is about the Last Judgement.
It is situated at the end of Strasbourg cathedral, far from the entry and in a quite small space for all the tourists who want to see it. But it is worth a look.
After this visit, a good Alsatian lunch is appreciated before a boat trip on Ill River to admire Strasbourg parts from the water and to listen to the history of the town and the buildings.
Each time gardens are open in Lorraine we try to visit new ones. Today we didn't want to go too far and discovered La Cure d'Air Trianon in Malzéville which was especially open for the Rendez-vous aux Jardins 2017.
La Cure d'Air Trianon was created in 1902 by the owner of the pub of Point Central in Nancy. He had noticed people liked walking in the upper part of Nancy on Sundays, so he decided to open a "guinguette" (café and dance-hall).
Unluckily he was not able to pay the builders and La Cure d'Air Trianon was sold in 1909 to a private owner.
Nowadays it is still owned by the same family. The garden shows beautiful roses and fruit trees and also big impressing trees. The place is not very big but really pleasant to have a walk around.
And after the walk in the garden, the former guinguette of La Cure d'Air Trianon is worth a long look. There were 22 stained-glass windows in 1902, 7 can be seen nowadays, 11 are kept to be restored and 4 are lost. They were made by a worker of Daum. They show advertisements for alcohols mainly. The architecture of the building is typical of the beginning of the 20th century.
It was a pleasant visit in a place we didn't know at all (we had never heard about it till this morning). The owners would like to open La Cure d'Air Trianon two week ends each month in the coming years. It would be a very good idea.