The stud farm of Rosières-aux-Salines
Before 1760 there were saltworks in Rosières-aux-Salines. The main well where salted water was pumped is in the middle of the stud farm square.
In 1767 the place became a "royal stud farm" and was closed during the French Revolution, but it was soon replaced by all the people and horses of the French Army of Zweibrücken (Deux-Ponts) which moved to Rosières-aux-Salines. The stud farm worked really well and was extended from 1818.
As Rosières-aux-Salines is near the French border, it meant garrison towns were not far, so plenty of horses to deal with. And a lot of draught horses were used by farmers at this time. But machines replaced them quite quickly after WW1.
The first Anglo-Arab stallion arrived at the stud farm in 1954 ; in 1967, they were 11 and 28 in 1980.
The stud farm square is regularly used for exhibitions and some visits are organized. This year the place celebrates its 250th anniversary.